For a long time I’ve been an avid supporter of the Human Rights Campaign and the fight to grant equal rights to the LGBT community. Just the other day I learned my friends at LUSH Cosmetics have partnered with the Freedom to Marry campaign to encourage the US Government to pass the Respect for Marriage Act, which would effectively undo the Defense of Marriage Act, which denies LGBT couples the right to marry.
Along with the right to marry, there are 1,138 rights straight couples have, but which are denied to the LGBT community. Let me say it again in italics: that’s one thousand, one hundred thirty-eight rights that straight couples are allowed but gay couples are not. Here’s a .pdf file that outlines all one thousand, one hundred thirty-eight rights the gay community is denied.
Please take forty seconds of your time today to sign LUSH’s Freedom to Marry petition and pledge your support to the campaign. If you have an extra minute, I encourage you to make a donation to Freedom to Marry.
- Loving Day (lizbethsgarden.wordpress.com)
- Loving Day – a day to celebrate and remember… (pretavivir.com)
- AP: Anti-gay Organizations Claim To Be Victims Of Bullying (towleroad.com)
- Some gay-rights foes claim they now are bullied (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Freedom To Marry – Tell Congress to Overturn DOMA (queerlandia.com)
- New York’s Gay Marriage Push (thedailybeast.com)
- Bucks: What a Repeal of the Gay Marriage Ban Means (bucks.blogs.nytimes.com)